Sunday, February 25, 2018

Pregnant at 40 something

Are you approaching 40 and contemplating a pregnancy? This is what I experienced.



I will be 51 in a few weeks and my daughter just turned 8, so Maths yielding, I was pregnant at 42. This is a possibility a bit out of the norm but not so uncommon. Whether it be by accident or because you wanted to give yourself the chance of having a girl/boy after having only boys/girls, pregnancy after 40 has its perks. I can't talk about its downside because -eight years down the line- I am still delighted with how it turned out.

Every time I look at my baby girl (she will always be that, I suppose) or I get a female comment from her 'oh, so womanly' brain, I thank Life for such a precious gift. In my case, I thank God, but you can call it whatever you prefer: the Universe, Life, or else...

So, have you thought about having a child at 40? That's when I thought: "It's now or never".

I'll share my story in case you need a reference. I went to my GP at 40 and asked for blood tests to check my general health. Apart from listening to my heartbeat and measuring my blood pressure, I wanted to check the iron and cholesterol levels. These were the indicators I grew up relating to good health.

I explained to my doctor that I was considering falling pregnant at 40, so I wanted to check my general health first. Once the results came in, the doctor gave me the green light to proceed to the next visit: the gynaecologist.

I went to the doctor who was doing my yearly smear test and breast check. He said my body was ready for a baby and that I could go for it. IUD removed and it was just a matter of counting the days after the next period.

Eventually, the pregnancy came. We were over the moon. A few weeks into the pregnancy and bleeding started, so I thought "This is it". It wasn't meant to be. My husband and I remained cool about the whole process. After all, we were already a family of four, with two lovely boys growing healthy and strong.



But this was a tough cookie. The pregnancy continued. Once the bleeding stopped, the heartbeat was present and strong. The obstetrician recommended to continue life as normal, since, he said: "what's meant to be will be". He wasn't very enthusiastic about me being pregnant at such a "risky" age.

And it was meant to be. The delivery date came and I was so ready. I had refused screening tests, as I suffered uncertainty with the first two pregnancies, only to deliver perfectly healthy babies. I was willing to welcome a baby with any challenging condition into our family. And she came to us with a 10/10 score on that test they do on newborns.

A 50-year-old mother of a primary school child

Yes, I am a 50 something-year-old mother of a second grader. And I am NOT the only one. I was so pleased to see another middle-aged mother of my daughter's classmate who had a son 18 years after her eldest. Good on them. 

I am closer in age to most of the grandmothers of my daughter's classmates. And I am OK with that. My daughter loves me and she's never complained about having an older mum or a 10 year older brother. 



Her older brothers adore her and she adores them. Having a baby after 40 is an experience I can fully recommend. I am more tired than I was in my 30s, when I had my sons, but I am so much more relaxed now, that I think it compensates. 

What do you think? Would you have a baby at 40?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your view is important to me. I will read and publish every relevant comment even if you disagree with what is written. Variety makes beautiful. Thank you for your company.

Pregnant at 40 something

Are you approaching 40 and contemplating a pregnancy? This is what I experienced. I will be 51 in a few weeks and my daughter just tur...